Year : 2017  |  Volume : 19  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 168-172

46 XX karyotype during male fertility evaluation; case series and literature review

1 Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Department of Urology, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
2 Hamad Medical Corporation, Department of Urology, Qatar
3 Cairo University, Department of Andrology, Giza, Egypt
4 Reston Hospital, Department of Urology, Virginia, USA

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Ahmad Majzoub
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Department of Urology, Cleveland, Ohio, USA; Hamad Medical Corporation, Department of Urology, Qatar

Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None

DOI: 10.4103/1008-682X.181224

Rights and Permissions

Forty-six XX disorder of sex development is an uncommon medical condition observed at times during the evaluation of a man's fertility. The following is a case series and literature review of phenotypically normal men diagnosed with this karyotype. Our goal is to comprehend the patients' clinical presentation as well as their laboratory results aiming to explore options available for their management. A formal literature review through PubMed and MEDLINE databases was performed using "46 XX man" as a word search. A total of 55 patients, including those conveyed in this article were diagnosed with a 46 XX karyotype during their fertility evaluation. The patients' mean age ± s.d. was 34 ± 10 years and their mean height ± s.d. was 166 ± 6.5 cm. Overall, they presented with hypergonadotropic hypogonadism. Sexual dysfunction, reduced hair distribution, and gynecomastia were reported in 20% (4/20), 25.8% (8/31), and 42% (13/31) of the patients, respectively. The SRY gene was detected in 36 (83.7%) and was absent in the remaining seven (16.3%) patients. We found that a multidisciplinary approach to management is preferred in 46 XX patients. Screening for remnants of the mullerian ducts and for malignant transformation in dysgenetic gonads is imperative. Hypogonadism should be addressed, while fertility options are in vitro fertilization with donor sperm or adoption.

Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)

 Article Access Statistics
    PDF Downloaded691    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 14    

Recommend this journal